Department of Engineering & Technological Studies
Dr. Srinka BasuHead of the Department Assistant Professor
Department of Engineering & Technological Studies (Formerly University Science Instrumentation Centre or USIC) was established in the year 1978 by the University Grants Commission (UGC). With an aim at promoting the Centre and to diversify its activity, the UGC subsequently upgraded it to Level-III, the highest level of an USIC, during its 8th plan period. USIC of University of Kalyani was the only USIC in the Eastern region of the country, which had been upgraded to Level-III by the UGC. As a condition of upgradation, a One-year (Two semesters) Post-Graduate Diploma in Instrumentation (PGDI) course was started from the 1992-1993 academic session. The course was aimed at imparting a job-oriented training programme to Honours Graduates in Physical Sciences. Later to enhance the utility of the course the University upgraded the course to Two-years’ (Four semesters) Post-Graduate Diploma in Instrumentation, so that the students can do better in the job market
As per the advice and the approval given by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) in 1999, University of Kalyani introduced Two 4-year B. Tech courses in— (i) Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering and (ii) Information Technology at USIC from the academic session 1999-2000 with the intake from WBJEE. In 2005 USIC obtained the approval of AICTE for M. Tech. course in Communication Engineering, though the course started in 2010-2011 academic session. The Ph.D. curricula in several field of Engineering were also started at USIC from the same academic session. As per UGC guideline.
|Sl. No.||Programme||Duration||Intake capacity||Admission criteria|
|1||B. Tech. in "Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering"||4 Years||30||
As per the Eligibility Criteria set by West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board in respective year of examination
|2||B. Tech. in “Information Technology"||4 Years||30||
As per the Eligibility Criteria set by West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board in respective year of examination.
|3||M. Tech. in “Communication Engineering”||2 Years||10||
Eligibility: AICTE approved 4 years B.E./B.Tech. degree in E.C.E./E.T.C./E.I.E./I.T.
1. Short listing of candidates: A merit list is prepared based on the academic records as per the given weightage—
2. Departmental Admission Test and Interview: Short listed candidates will have to appear for an Admission Test organized by the department and an Interview. Marks obtained in the Admission Test out of 20 and in Interview out of 10 will be added to the marks obtained from academic records as above to compute the total marks of a candidate out of 100, based on which the final merit list will be prepared.
|4||Ph.D. in Engineering||-||-||
As per the Regulation of Doctor of Philosophy of University of Kalyani.
Faculty Profile(Alphabetical Order)
- Computer Laboratories (3 nos.)
- Communications Laboratory
- Electronics Laboratory
- Electrical Technology Laboratory
- Mechanical Shop
- Measurement laboratory
- Microprocessor laboratory
- Power Electronics Laboratory
- Internetworking Laboratory
- Microwave Laboratory
- Control Laboratory
- Electromagnetics Laboratory
- Ongoing: –
- Completed: 5
- Full Time: 2
- Part Time: 2
- Prayukti 2022, the reunion of DETS held on 2 Apr, 2022
- Online Lecture Series I on Recent Research In Engineering & Technological Fields held during 21-24 Mar, 2022