Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Professor (Dr.) Kalyani MaliHead of the Department Professor
The Department of Computer Science & Engineering was established in 1992. It started functioning in the
Department of Physics, University of Kalyani, with only one programme: Postgraduate Diploma in Computer
Application (PGDCA) with a student strength of fifteen. Subsequently, at the end of 2002, the Department
started functioning in its new building. The two AICTE-approved existing courses, Master in Computer
Application (MCA) and Master of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering (M.Tech.(CSE)) were
introduced in 2001 and 2003 respectively. Moreover, the Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and
Engineering (B.Tech.(CSE)) course has been introduced in 2022 as per the approval of AICTE. Besides this, the
department currently supervises two M.Sc. programmes in Computer Science and Data Science, which have
been introduced in the academic session 2019-2020. The department also offers Ph.D. degrees in various
areas of Computer Science and Engineering. The department employs 07 regular and a few contractual faculty
members, along with other staff members to run its courses smoothly. Healthy teacher-student relationships
and well-equipped laboratories have paved the way for growth in the IT sector. The department recognizes
the importance of Information Technology in the modern world and is dedicated to making all possible efforts
to place its students in the long run. Moreover, the faculty members of the department are highly involved in
cutting-edge research in different trending areas of computer science and related topics and have published
more than 600 articles in reputed peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
|Sl. No.||Programme||Duration||Intake capacity||Admission criteria|
10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Admitted through WBJEE for B.Tech. admission.
B.E./B.Tech./MCA/M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Computer Science & Engineering and related fields. GATE score is preferred. Admission through written test and/or interview.
BCA/B.Sc. or equivalent degree with Mathematics as a subject in every level of education. Admitted through JECA conducted by WBJEE Board.
|4||M.Sc.(Computer Science)||4 semesters||20||
BCA/B.Sc.(Hons) in Computer Science. Admission through written test.
|5||M.Sc.(Data Science)||4 semesters||35||
B.Sc.(Hons) or equivalent degree in any discipline with Mathematics as a subject in each level of education. Admission through written test and/or interview.
|6||Ph.D.(Computer Science & Engineering)||4-5 years (Approx)||--||
MCA/M.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering and related fields. Admission through written test and interview.
Faculty Profile(Alphabetical Order)
- Data Mining, Machine Learning and AI
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Computational Geometry
- Combinatorial Optimization
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Soft and Evolutionary Computing
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Crowdsourcing and Human-Computer Interaction
- Cloud and Edge Computing
- E-governance and E-learning
- Semantic Web Technologies
- Mobile, Optical and Sensor Networks
- Cyber Security and Blockchain Technologies
- Authentication and Steganography
- GIS and GPS Technologies
- Internet of Things
- 2 Computing laboratories for students with more than 60 PCs, and 1 server.
- 2 research scholar laboratories with 2 servers, 2 workstations and 30 PCs.
- Fully equipped digital and microprocessor laboratory.
- Optical fiber, sensor network and IoT training kits.
- One smart classroom with capacity of 40.
|Developing Computational Techniques and Databases for Prediction and Analysis of Host-Pathogen Protein-Protein Interactions Involved in Neglected Tropical Diseases||2019-2022||Prof. Anirban Mukhopadhyay||WBDST & BT, Govt. of West Bengal||Rs. 8.61 lakh|
|Algorithmic Studies on Geometric Covering Problems to Find a Placement of Facilities for Smart City Planning||2019-2022||Prof. Priya Ranjan Sinha Mahapatra||DST-SERB MATRICS grant, Govt. of India||Rs. 6.60 lakh|
|Attributed Temporal Weighted Social Network Models for Prediction and Control of Contagious Disease Epidemics||2020-2023||Prof. Anirban Mukhopadhyay||DST-SERB MATRICS grant, Govt. of India||Rs. 6.60 lakh|
|AICTE-MODROBS||2020-2022||Prof. Priya Ranjan Sinha Mahapatra / Prof. Anirban Mukhopadhyay||AICTE||Rs. 15.85 lakh|
|Fault diagnosis & tap table design of system on chip||2001-2004||Prof. Sausanta Chakraborty||AICTE||Rs. 5.0 lakh|
|AICTE-MODROBS||2002-2005||Prof. Kalyani Mali / Prof. Sausanta Chakraborty||AICTE||Rs. 4.0 lakh|
|Industry Institute Partnership Cell (IIPC)||2009-2012||Prof. Jyotsna Kumar Mandal||AICTE||Rs. 10.0 lakh|
|Basic Computer Training and School Projects under Finishing School||2010-2011||Prof. Jyotsna Kumar Mandal||MIT, Govt. of West Bengal||Rs. 4.0 lakh|
|Variation of Enclosing Problem using Geometric Objects||2015-2018||Prof. Priya Ranjan Sinha Mahapatra||NBHM, DAE, Govt. of India||Rs. 12.9 lakh|
- Full Time: 09
- Part Time: 22
- Three-week Refresher course on “Computer Applications” (UGC sponsored), January 2008.
- Workshop for computer training of School teachers (A programme of Ministry of Information Technology, Govt. of West Bengal), September-December 2010.
- Workshop on “Computational Methodologies and Applications (CMA 2013)” jointly organized with the Dept. of Computer Science & Technology, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur, West Bengal under Statewide University Network (SUN) project of Govt. of West Bengal during April 22-23, 2013.
- First International Conference on Computational Intelligence: Modeling, Techniques and Applications (CIMTA-2013), September 27-28, 2013.
- Second International Conference on Information Systems Design and Intelligent Applications (INDIA-2015), January 8-9, 2015.
- First International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Communication (ICIC2-2016), February 18-19, 2016.
- One-week Workshop on Scientific Writing, April 22-26, 2019
- 6th International Conference on Emerging Applications of Information Technology (EAIT 2020), February 25-27, 2021.
- Three-month Certificate Course on Scientific Writing under RUSA Component 10 (Entrepreneurship & Career Hub), December 2021 – March 2022.
National Level – Indian Statistical Institute, Jadavpur University, University of Calcutta, University of Burdwan, Aliah University, Visva-bharati University, SASTRA University, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, Assam University.
International Level – University of Heidelberg (Germany), German Cancer Research Center (Germany), University of Goettingen (Germany), University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis (France), University of Derby (UK), University of Nantes (France), Colorado State University (USA), University of Lodz (Poland), Tribhuban University (Nepal), Purbanchal University (Nepal).