Department of Geography
Dr. Tarun Kumar MondalHead of the Department Associate Professor
The Department of Geography has started its journey since 2003. Over the past 19 years of journey, the department has evolved as one of the excellent centres for geographic teaching and research. This department offers Postgraduate course and Doctoral Programme in Geography. At the Postgraduate level, remote sensing and GIS, field survey, quantitative and qualitative data analysis techniques have been incorporated in the curricula to enable the students to compete with the changing needs of the job market. At present, three special papers i.e. Agricultural Geography, Environmental Geography and Urban Geography are offered at the Postgraduate level. At Doctoral Programme, students are involved in research on both Physical and Human Geography. Students of this department are now successfully placed in teaching, research and administrative services.
|Sl. No.||Programme||Duration||Intake capacity||Admission criteria|
|1||M.A./M.Sc. (Geography)||2-Years (Semesters: I, II, III, IV)||50||
B.A. /B.Sc. Hons.
|2||Ph. D. (Geography)||3-5 Years||-||
Faculty Profile(Alphabetical Order)
- Environmental Geography
- Hazard and Disaster Management
- Agricultural Geography
- Rural Livelihood
- Gender Studies
- Urban Geography
- Social and Cultural Geography
- Remote Sensing and GIS Laboratory: Computers with internet, Geometica software, Arc-view software, TNT mips Software, QGIS, Satellite Imageries and Image Processing facilities, Aerial Photographs and Satellite Imageries interpretation facilities, GPS survey, SPSS software
- Cartographic Laboratory: Topographical and thematic maps, Abney Level, Prismatic Compass, Plane-Table, Dumpy Level, Theodolite, Planimeter and Clinometer etc.
- Agricultural Geography Special Paper Laboratory: Computers with internet, Soil testing kits, thematic maps, crops specimens etc.
- Environmental Geography Special Paper Laboratory: Computers with internet, Soil testing kits, sound meter, thematic maps etc.
- Urban Geography Special Paper Laboratory: Computers with internet, thematic maps etc.
- Project Title: “Integrated Farming System in Patharpratima and Gosaba Community Development Blocks in Indian Sundarban Delta: Exploring Entrepreneurial Opportunities”; Project Grant under RUSA Component 10 (Entrepreneurship & Career Hub), University of Kalyani, Principal Investigator: Dr. Tarun Kumar Mondal.
- Project Title: “Understanding the problems of homestay tourism in the Mousuni Island of Sundarbans and entrepreneurship development”; Project Grant under RUSA Component 10 (Entrepreneurship & Career Hub), University of Kalyani, Principal Investigator: Dr. Abhay Sankar Sahu.
- Project Title: “Environmental Consequences of Water-logging Problem in Purba Medinipur District, West Bengal: Evaluation, Mapping, and Management”; UGC-BSR Start-up Grant; UGC sponsored; Duration: 2013 to 2015; Research Investigator: Dr. Abhay Sankar Sahu
- Full Time: Number – 08
- Part Time: Number – 04
2021: World Environment Day Celebration on 5th June 2021
- (Retd.) Ranjan Basu, ICSSR Senior Fellow, Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata (IDSK) and Retired Professor, Department of Geography, University of Calcutta delivered his lecture on ‘Contemporary Natural and Social Hazards and their Holistic Impact on Physical Environment as well as Cross Section of the Society’.
2020: Conducted Field Survey
(i) Field survey was conducted at Amritsar, Panjub and Dalhousi, Himachal Pradesh with PG Semester IV Agricultural Geography Special Paper students 2020.
(ii) Field survey was conducted at Shimla, Kulu and Manali, Himachal Pradesh with PG Semester IV Environmental Geography and Urban Geography Special Papers students 2020.
- Organised Professor Subhas Chandra Mukhopadhyay Memorial lecture
The department organised Professor Subhas Chandra Mukhopadhyay Memorial lecture on 20.03.2019. Nikhilesh Das, Retired IAS Officer of West Bengal cadre delivered his lecture on ‘Geographical Management System and Sustainable Development’. Professor Malay Mukhopadhyay, Department of Geography, Visva-Bharati delivered his lecture on ‘Geomorphosite Geotourism Development through Installation of Marker Stone: A New Dimension in Applied Geomorphology’.
- Conducted Field Survey
(i) Field Survey was conducted at Araku Valley, Visakhapatnam (Vizag) and surrounding areas in Andhra Pradesh with PG Semester-IV Agricultural Geography and Urban Geography Special Papers students 2019.
(ii) Field Survey was conducted at Sandakphu, Phalut, Srikhola and surrounding areas in West Bengal, with PG Semester-IV Environmental Geography Special Paper students 2019.
- Organised a camp to distribute learning materials
Students of the department organised a camp to distribute learning materials at Chakdaha, Nadia, W.B. on 2nd October, 2018.
- Conducted Field Survey
(i) Conducted field survey at Agra, Uttar Pradesh with PG Semester IV Agricultural Geography and Urban Geography Special Papers students 2018.
(ii) Conducted field survey at Varanasi and Allahabad with PG Semester IV Environmental Geography Special Paper students 2018.
- Organised a Flood Relief Camp
Students of the department organized a flood relief camp at Laxminarayanpur Village, Dakshin Dinajpur, West Bengal on 01.09. 2017.
- Organised a Cloths Donation Camp
Students of the department organized a cloth donation camp at Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal on 06.12. 2017.
- Conducted Field Survey
(i) Conducted field survey at Gosaba, Indian Sundarban Delta with PG Semester IV Agricultural Geography Special Paper students 2017.
(ii) Conducted field survey at Reshikhola, Zuluk and its surroundings, Sikkim with PG Semester IV Environmental Geography Special Paper students 2017.
(iii) Conducted field survey at Santiniketan, Birbhum, West Bengal with PG Semester IV Urban Geography Special Paper students 2017.