Phone Number: +91-033- 2582-8750 (EPBX) Ext: 344
Institutional E-Mail: email@example.com
Web URL: https://klyuniv.ac.in/professors/utpal-basu/
Postdoc (2004-2007): Laboratory of Prof. Tejvir Singh Khurana, Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Ph.D. (1998-2004): Laboratory of Prof. Subrata Banerjee, Biophysics Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata, India
Post M.Sc. Associateship (Biophysical Sciences) (1997-98): Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
M.Sc. (Biochemistry) (1995-97): University of Calcutta
B.Sc. (Chemistry Honours) (1992-95): University of Calcutta
Our group studies the regulation of utrophin expression with a focus on the development of a strategy to upregulate it in muscles. Utrophin has therapeutic importance as it can functionally compensate for dystrophin whose deficiency results in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD), the most frequent genetic disorder worldwide.
Gargi Ghosh, PhD, Debashis Malik, PhD, Subhanwita Das, Doel Pal
Past Group Members:
Trinath Ghosh, PhD, Ujjal Ghosh PhD, Shankhamala Bose, PhD, Sourav Gangopadhyay
Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy
In the Department of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology, University of Kalyani since December 2007.List of Publications(Peer-Reviewed)
1. Ghosh G, Samui S, Das S, Singh V, Pal D, Das S, Naskar N, Sinha SR, Basu U. Poly C Binding Protein 2 dependent nuclear retention of the utrophin-A mRNA in C2C12 cells. RNA Biol. 18(sup2), 612-622 (2021)
2. Malik D, Basu U. Repression-free utrophin-A 5’UTR variants. Mol Biol Res Commun 8, 129–133 (2019).
3. Ahamed ST, Roy B, Basu U, Dutta S, Ghosh AN, Bandyopadhyay B, Giri N. Genomic and proteomic characterizations of Sfin-1, a novel lytic phage infecting multidrug-resistant Shigella spp. and Escherichia coli C. Front Microbiol. 10, 1876 (2019)
4. Bose S, Karmakar J, Fulzele DP, Basu U, Bandyopadhyay TK. In vitro shoots from root explant, their encapsulation, storage, plant recovery and genetic fidelity assessment of Limonium hybrid ‘Misty Blue’: a florist plant. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult. 129, 313-324 (2017) 5. Ghosh S, Singh K, Shaw AK, Azahar I, Adhikari S, Ghosh U, Basu U, Roy S, Saha S, Sherpa AR, Hossain Z. Insights into the miRNA-mediated response of maize leaf to arsenate stress. Environ Exp Bot., 137, 96-109 (2017)
6. Roy S, Das TK, Maiti GP, Basu U. Microbial biosynthesis of nontoxic gold nanoparticles. Materials Science and Engineering B, 203, 41-51 (2016)
7. Ghosh T, Basu U. Cis-acting sequence elements and upstream open reading frame in mouse utrophin-A 5′-UTR repress cap-dependent translation. Plos One. 10, e0134809 (2015).
8. Ghosh U, Bose S, Ghosh T, Bandyopadhyay TK, Basu U. A Monophasic solution for isolation of RNA devoid of polymerase chain reaction-detectable genomic DNA contamination. Anal Biochem 477, 50-2 (2015).
9. Ghosh T, Ghosh U, Ghosh G, Malik D, Bose S, Basu U. Developing effective therapy for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD): Challenges and promises. Current Chemical Biology, 8, 117-31 (2014)
10. Basu U, Lozynska O, Moorwood C, Patel G, Wilton S.D, Khurana TS. Translational regulation of utrophin by miRNAs. Plos One. 6, e29376 (2011).
11. Baby SM, Bogdanovich S, Willmann G, Basu U, Lozynska O, Khurana TS. Differential expression of utrophin-A and -B promoters in the central nervous system (CNS) of normal and dystrophic mdx mice. Brain Pathol. 20, 323-42 (2010).
12. Basu U, Gyrd-Hansen M, Baby S.M, Krag TOB, Jensen C, Frodin M, Khurana TS. Heregulin-induced epigenetic regulation of the utrophin Promoter. FEBS Letter. 581, 4153-4158 (2007).
13. Perkins KJ, Basu U, Budak M, Ketterer C, Baby SM., Lozynska O, Lunde JA, Jasmin BJ, Rubinstein NA and Khurana TS. ERF silences extra-synaptic utrophin by N-box mediated repression in skeletal muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 18, 2864-2872 (2007).
14. Basu U. and Banerjee S. An engineered EBV vector expressing human factor VIII and von Willebrand factor in cultured B-cells. Journal of Gene Medicine. 6, 760-768 (2004).
Moorwood C, Basu U, Patel G, Lozynska O, Khurana TS. Methods for enhancing utrophin production via inhibition of microRNA. United States Patent Number US 9,458,459 B2ORCID ID https://orcid.org/ 0000-0002-8063-3777